Shutters vs Blinds: Which Is Best?
With so many ways to dress your windows, it can be difficult to know which window covering is best suited for your home. If you’re torn between blinds and shutters, we can help. The team at Kingston Blinds have put together this guide on the advantages and disadvantages of both shutters and blinds so you can decide which is best for you.
The main difference between shutters and blinds is the way they are fitted to the window. While blinds are attached to the inside of or above the window recess, shutters are attached to the window frame itself for a more sturdy structure.
– They’re a unique structure that adds value to your home
– Long lasting
– No cords or chains needed, so very child safe
– Excellent insulators
– Very low maintenance
– Attractive and suited to any home style
– Available in a range of materials including wood, pvc and faux wood
– Separate operation of each section gives excellent light control and ventilation
– Shutters are a much more expensive purchase than blinds
– They take up more window space than blinds as they are fitted to the window frame rather than in the window recess
– Heavy, so can be unsuitable for some window styles
– Lengthier installation time
Perhaps the most popular window dressing, blinds offer a versatile window solution that is widely available and affordable to buy. A good quality and trusted blinds company is much more accessible than a good quality shutter stockist, making blinds a practical and convenient choice for any home.
– Huge variety of styles, designs and colours so will perfectly match the decor of any home
– Made from a good selection of materials so can be suited to any environment (e.g pvc for bathrooms)
– Blinds offer a softer aesthetic than shutters
– Very affordable
– Can be adjusted to offer varying levels of light and shade
– Options for blackout or insulation mean you can improve the conditions in your home
– Much less robust than shutters
– Require more maintenance and cleaning than shutters
– The fabrics of some blinds can become damaged from UV rays or too much moisture
– Much shorter lifespan than shutters so will need replaced more frequently
There is no right or wrong answer when choosing between blinds and shutters, both window treatments offer advantages to the homeowner that could make them a more favourable option. The end decision comes down to personal preference and the preferred aesthetic of one over the other. No matter which selection you make, opting for a high quality product will ensure a long lasting and beautiful result.
Kingston Blinds stock and supply a range of fantastic blinds and shutters to suit any home. Our collection are constructed from high quality materials, put together to an exceptional standard and installed by expert fitters, all to ensure a perfect end product. Our selection of blinds and shutters guarantee longevity and style with every purchase. For more information on our range of window treatments, contact one of our friendly advisors today on 01482 407 319 or fill in our handy contact form.